Saturday, June 12, 2010

Orca Pod in Yaquina Bay, Oregon

I was delighted to see this in our local paper -- a pod of orcas in the Yaquina Bay, here in Oregon. I'm so sad I didn't get to witness this! I have friends and family there and am there frequently, just not this time! But how wonderful for the community to have this happen! A rare sight: Killer whales swim into Oregon waters at Newport.
NEWPORT -- It's the sight some here wait years, even decades to see, and Thursday a whole lot of  people got their wish when a pod of orca whales cruised over the Yaquina Bay Bar, under the bridge and kept on all the way past the port, docks and Bayfront right on up the river.

"It was a thrill," said Jim Rice, coordinator of the Oregon Marine Mammal Stranding Network. "I've been in Newport five years and until this, I'd never seen orcas in Oregon waters."

No comments:

Post a Comment